Pages

Contact Us

Search This Blog

Friday, April 22, 2011

Fantastic Finds Friday


We want to hear all about your Fantastic Finds! This features isn't about your exciting sales. It's about your exciting finds! There are so many places to find inventory: your closet, your garage, a yard sale, thrift stores, a consignment item you're selling for someone else. What did you find this week that you are excited about? It can be something you're excited to get listed OR something you're excited to keep! You can even post to your listing, if you'd like. Free advertising!
==========

I didn't have a real big shopping week. I found a few articles of kids' clothing and a pair of women's shoes. But I was excited to find this on the half off rack! It's a NWT Ralph Lauren boys' rugby cardigan. It has the original price tag on it of $85! I spent a little more on it than I would have preferred, but I still left myself plenty of room for profit. I had an offer within 2 minutes of listing it, so I'm optimistic.  Naturally, it was a completely unacceptable offer (less than half my asking price!), but I'm sure the right buyer will be along shortly.

Jessica
============

Each year I make a traditional "lamb cake" with a recipe passed down from my mother-in-law.  When my kids were little she used to mail us these delicious cakes for our family to enjoy at Easter.  As my mother-in-law got older and cooked less and less she handed the torch to me by sending me my own Wilton cake molds to make for our family.  Here's one of my handy creations!





About 2 weeks ago I found a Wilton bunny cake mold.  I had every intention on listing it right away because, well Easter was drawing near.  However, like several other things on my "to do" list it never happened.  But I think I'm glad I didn't list it because now I really want to make a bunny cake in addition to my lamb cake.

Here's our family recipe for the pound cake:
3/4 pounds butter
1 (8 oz. package) cream cheese
3 cups sugar
6 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp almond extract
3 cups cake flour

Cream together butter and cream cheese, blending in sugar with electric mixer.  Add eggs, one at a time and continue to blend.  Add flavorings and flour and beat until light and fluffy.  Pour batter into greased and floured molds.

 Place nose side of mold on a baking sheet.  Fill with batter until slightly below the top of the mold and rounded over in the middle about even with the top.  Cover with the other half of mold.  Bake at 350 degrees for one hour and fifteen minutes.  Turn mold over and bake on other side for an additional 15 minutes.

Remove from oven.  Turn mold over on it's back and remove nose section.  Turn carefully and remove cake from mold.  Set cake upright.  Cake is rather soft when hot, handle carefully.

Frost with butter cream icing when completely cooled.  This recipe makes two cakes!

Happy Easter and I hope your family enjoys this as much as we do!



Here's my new mold! :-)


Lesley
============

So what about you? What great things did you find this week either for resale or that you're excited to keep for yourself? Leave a comment below as we would love to hear all about it.

Don't forget to fan us on eBay Underground!

3 comments:

  1. De Lurking...I'm a new member of your ebay FB group. I started an etsy shop for vintage and have been learning so so so much from everybody. I have totally new "eyes" now when I go yard saleing and thrifting. I'll be ready to jump into Ebay soon I hope. Thank you so much from sharing such good knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry, but EW!...ur lamb cake looks REALLY scarey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sure you're "sorry" tatoou. No worries, my children love to decorate these cakes and I think they look beautiful. I think you missed the point of my blog post!

    FYI....it's spelled "scary"! :)

    ReplyDelete