Pages

Contact Us

Search This Blog

Thursday, February 17, 2011

How to Combat Discouragement and Laziness


Sales are slow for me right now. How's that for an understatement?? Sales are ridiculously slow for me right now. It doesn't take long for slow sales to lead to discouragement. I've had several days this month where I thought to myself, "Why bother? I don't want to spend a bunch of time listing, only to have everything sit there and not sell." That's a ridiculous, destructive mindset. It's February. Sales are slow for everyone right now. But without a regular stream of sales, it's really easy to let my store languish. My energy wanes, my enthusiasm runs and hides.




How do I combat this feeling? I look back and see what happens when I do keep listing. My friends know me as an over-the-top obsessive record keeper (no comments from the peanut gallery!), but I have my reasons! When I'm feeling discouraged, it's nice to be able to look back and see that actively listing does lead to increased sales. I can look at last week and tell at a glance that I only listed 17 items. That probably goes a long way in explaining why I only sold 7 items. Total. The entire week. But I can look back further and see that in January, I listed 85 items and sold 74. The more I list, the more I sell! Imagine that.





On our eBay Underground Facebook group, we always have a weekly "Motivation Listing Record" thread. I use this record not only to remind myself of the need to list more, but I also use this record to remind myself that I DO work hard (as if I need reminded of that, right?). When I feel like I had a lazy week and didn't get much done on eBay, I can look back and see that those 2 or 3 listings here and there really do add up! I might feel like I didn't get anything accomplished, but I can see right there in black and white that I actually listed 85 items in January. It didn't feel like that much at the time, so it's encouraging to see that I really was productive.





Stop by our group, add a Listing Record of your own onto our thread, and see if that doesn't get you motivated to start listing more and more!

No comments:

Post a Comment